In today’s digital world, encouraging children to engage in outdoor activities can be difficult. However, getting out and exercising is a crucial part of our lifestyles. Cycling is a fun way to get your children outdoors. Not only does cycling promote both mental and physical wellbeing, but it also gives children a sense of independence and can boost confidence. In this blog, we explore the reasons why your child should take up cycling and how you can encourage them to do so.
What are the benfits of cycling?
- Boosts physical fitness: Cycling is an excellent way for children to engage in exercise, helping them to build strong muscles and bones. It promotes a healthy lifestyle from a young age and can help reduce the risk of any health issues.
- Increased coordination and balance: Riding a bike enhances a child’s coordination and balancing skills, which contribute to the development of key motor skills.
- Confidence building: Mastering the skill of cycling is a huge achievement for many young children, helping to boost their self-esteem and confidence. It’s a great activity to teach them perseverance and to overcome challenges.
- Social Interaction: Cycling can be a social activity, encouraging children to ride with and spend more time with family and friends. It promotes communication and social skills.
Tips to encourage kids to cycle
1. Start Early: Introduce your child to cycling at an early age. This could be with a kids’ balance bike, which help children develop balance and coordination before jumping onto a pedal bike.
Here are some great kids’ balance bikes:
Little Town Wooden Balance Bike Grey – WAS £99.99, NOW £39.99 (SALE ENDS SOON)
Bring your little one’s imagination to life, with a little town wooden balance bike. It’ll take your child on cycling journeys to fantastic, imaginary places! It’s also a great bike to help them get started on balance and coordination skills.
Hawk Flash Balance Bike Purple – WAS £89.99, NOW £35 (SALE ENDS SOON)
The Hawk flash balance bike is a great way to introduce your child to cycling. Featuring an adjustable saddle and handlebar, and 12-inch tyres to give your child full control of their cycle.
2. Lead by example: Children will often follow in their parents’ footsteps. So, if they see you enjoying cycling, they are more likely to develop an interest. Plan family bike rides or use your bike for short trips around the neighbourhood. Sooner or later, they’ll be asking to join you for a cycling adventure!
3. Show your support: Celebrate all achievements, even the small ones! This is particularly useful if your child isn’t very confident on bike. Whether your child is starting to ride with stabilisers, or is cycling down a steep hill for the first time, make sure you celebrate this with them. Positive reinforcement will make the learning process much more enjoyable for everyone.
4. Create challenges: Make cycling even more fun by creating small challenges for your little ones to take part in. Get your children to try spotting as many animals on their cycles as they can, or to count how many flowers they see. All these help to keep them entertained and motivated to keep up the hobby.
5. Get them fun accessories: Accessories are the cherry on top of any new bike! They make a bike more personalised and encourage the owner to take pride in their belonging. Whether it’s a cool new helmet, a funky bell, or even a fancy water bottle – these small additions could really help to encourage your child to look forward to cycling. As part of the January Sale, you can get an extra 20% off spares and accessories when you spend £25 or over (Use code ‘SPARES20’).
Browse some of our fun kids’ bike accessories:
Ammaco 3 sounds fun horn blue – WAS £9.99, NOW £8.99 (SALE ENDS SOON)
Make safety a must, with the Ammaco fun horn. It comes with a choice of 3 loud sounds: Whistle, hooter, and ringer. This bell will encourage safety from your child, while still letting them have some fun cycling!
Why not get your child some funky gloves for some added protection whilst riding their bike? Available in blue penguin, orange elephant, and pink puppy. They’re washable and feature a non-slip palm surface and Velcro fastener.
A snazzy helmet could really help to encourage your child to get out and cycle! We’ve got a great selection of helmets, whether your child likes dinosaurs, flowers, or space, we’ve got you covered! The Oxford stars junior helmet features bright, colourful designs that’s bound to get your child excited!
6. Select the correct bike: This is the most crucial part of encouraging your child to take up cycling. Making sure your child’s bike fits them correctly will hugely impact how comfortable and confident they feel whilst cycling. You may not be aware that childrens’ bikes are measured by wheel size, rather than by frame size. Your child should feel comfortable on the saddle. Ensure they can easily get on and off, can reach the handles and brakes, and can reach the pedals without stretching. Check out our handy guide on kids’ bikes sizing. We also have a large selection of kids’ bikes, with prices starting at £64.99 for 14-inch wheel. If you’re stuck for ideas, here are some of our top picks.
Top Picks – Boys’ Bikes:
Ammaco Bandit 24-Inch wheel kids mountain bike grey – WAS £349.99, NOW £239
Whether your child is riding through muddy trails or meeting up with their friends, this bike is a must-have for any young rider. Featuring 6-speed easy-to-use Shimano Revoshift gears for an easy getaway, powerful front & rear v-type brakes, and a front suspension fork that absorbs any bumps in the terrain ahead.
Salcano Bad Boy 14-Inch Wheel kids bike Black and Green – WAS £259.99, NOW £139 (SALE ENDS SOON)
This is the perfect choice for any young adventurous child. With a tough steel frame, it’s built to last. The bike features a full enclosed chain guard for added safety. As well as, powerful front and rear V-type brakes for rapid stopping power. It also has cool ‘Bad boy’ themed wheel covers for added style.
Ammaco Tiffany 25-Inch Wheel Kids Heritage Bike Green – WAS £399.99, NOW £249 (SALE ENDS SOON)
The Ammaco Tiffany is the perfect classic heritage bike for those heading out with friends, or accompanying mum on a shopping trip. Featuring traditional details which provide a retro look, while using modern components to ensure a smooth ride. It even features a wicker basket, ideal for carrying small bags, teddy bears, snacks, and more!
Flite Screamer 20 Inch Wheel kids BMX bike white and pink – WAS £220, NOW £119 (SALE ENDS SOON)
Let your child ride in style, with the Flite Screamer! Its freestyle frame, BMX fork and stunt pegs make this bike ideal for pulling off those crowd pleasing moves. It has front and rear steel V brakes, to give precise control over speed. Your child will never want to get off this bike!
You can browse our large selection of kids bikes online, or you can pop into your local Cycle King & Hawk Cycles’ store, where our friendly expert staff will be on hand to help you find the perfect bike for your child (and yourself!). We even have an in-store height chart to ensure you get it right first time.
To make the transition as smooth as possible, we recommend reading our blog on ‘5 tips for keeping your child safe on their first bike’ for more kids’ bikes safety tips.
Remember, cycling is all about getting outdoors and having fun! Encouraging your children to cycle will benefit them in all aspects of their lives, whether that’s socialising with their friends or improving their independence as they move through school and beyond. It can take a bit of patience at first, but it’ll be so worth it. So, grab those helmets, inflate those tyres, and embark on an outdoors family adventure!